The core function is to:
- Ensuring that waste generated is collected, removed and disposed of.
- Place of communal skips at various strategic points in various peri-urban and emptying thereof
- Litter Picking
- Run recycling projects for environmental awareness
This is Fire and Disaster Management (Rescue) and is responsible for:
- Responding to Fire Calls
- Responding to Accidents
- Responding to Chemical Spillages
- Compiling uMhlathuze Disaster Management Plan
- Conducting Awareness Campaigns at schools and community level
- Evaluate emergency exercises at various industries, hospitals, schools and municipal depots
AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT
This subsection is mainly guided by section 24 of Chapter 2 of The Constitution of the Republic of South Africa of 1996 and the National Environmental Management Air Quality Act of 2004.
This section is responsible for:
- General Air Quality Management, i.e. Air Quality Monitoring Stations
- Establishment of an Industrial Data base
- Issue of Scheduled Trade Permits
- Pest Control
- Assistance with Indigent Burials
- Ritual Slaughters
- issue of notices for the cleaning/clearing of privately owned overgrown properties
- Running of community awareness campaigns
OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH SERVICES
The City of uMhlathuze runs two Occupational Health Clinics. Responsibilities served are:
- Conducting medical surveillance to all employees (pre-employment, annual and exit medical screenings.
- Perform immunisation and job specification
- Primary health care (minor ailments and chronic disease management)
- Inspect, monitor and refill first aid boxes
- Liaise with peer educators to bring health issues to the employees.