Deputy Municipal Manager - Corporate Services
Ms Ms Lungelwa Kaywood
Corporate Services is one critical component in any organisation for its existence, functioning, adapting to dynamic periods as well as the wellbeing of all resources mainly human capital.
The City of uMhlathuze is set for new horizons after securing the services of an experienced, qualified and creative minds in the Corporate Services Department. Ms Lungelwa Kaywood, has been appointed to be at the helm of this strategic section as the Deputy Municipal Manager: Corporate Services, since late 2020.
Ms Kaywood is responsible for coining and driving of the high-level strategy for the City of uMhlathuze and the implementation of programmes of the following units, Strategic Administration, Human Resources and Information Technology, which are the nerve centre of the City.
Ms Kaywood possess a strong Public Finance background with knowledge of the relevant and applicable legislation to the South African public sector.
She boasts with 20 years of extensive experience in dealing with the public sector specialising within the local sphere of government. Over the years, she has demonstrated the ability to achieve targeted goals, capable of creative problem solving, utilisation of critical thinking skills in cooperative governance.
A research and professional editing fanatic, Ms Kaywoodโs research interests are in public finance, inter-governmental relations, public value, development planning and public law.
Currently pursuing her PHD in Law and Development, Ms Kaywood is no stranger to the classroom.
She has academically achieved the following qualifications and short courses certificates:
- Post Graduate Diploma in Public Management, University of Chile (2017)
- Master of Public Administration, University of Stellenbosch (2013),
- Hons Public Administration (2009), University of Stellenbosch
- National Diploma in Local Government Finance (2001), Walter Sisulu University of Technology
Certificates on the following:
- Editing for Professionals, Wits University Language School (2018)
- PhD Training โ University of Stellenbosch (2016)
- Fiscal Decentralisation and Taxation โ University of Pretoria (2014),
- Monitoring and Evaluation โ University of Stellenbosch (2013),
- Monitoring and Evaluation โ University of Pretoria (2013),
- Budgeting in the Public Sector (2008),
- Municipal Finance Management Act Learning certificate (2007)
- Professional Business Writing (2007).
Ms Kaywood brings along with her vast knowledge in the field of Local Government, having been a Senior Researcher at the South African Local Government Association (SALGA) since 2015 before joining the City of uMhlathuze family. She has also made her mark in different government spheres in the following strategic positions:
- Programme Manager: Municipal Finance - (SALGA) (2012 โ December 2014)
- Municipal Budget Analyst: Gauteng Treasury (October 2008 โ April 2012)
- Deputy Director: Eastern Cape Treasury (September 2007 - September 2008)
- Deputy Director: Municipal Finance โ KZN Provincial Treasury (November 2006 โ September 2007)
- Local Government Expenditure Analyst: Western Cape Treasury (October 2005 โ November 2006)
- Assistant Director (Finance): Department of Justice (May 2003 - September 2005).
The City has given Ms Kaywood a clear and concise mandate to ensure that it is well resourced with high skilled personnel, relevant and latest technological systems and equipment for it to be able to be on par with national and international standards to deliver effective and efficient services to the communities.
Secretary: Cynthia Sindane
Office : First floor C134 Civic center